Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Taking a Stroll through History

Just a couple of days before Memorial Day we decided to go to the Salt Lake Cemetery. We have visited there before and I remembered that it was fascinating; not only because we have ancestors buried there but It is the place where most of the prophets and many general authorities rest.

You can get a map of the cemetery showing where to find the gravesites of the prophets. Most of them are close together, within a few short steps of each other. My Great great Grandfather, Thomas Mackay, also is buried there with his three wives. It's an interesting place to visit if you are looking for something to do this summer.

This is the monument for Thomas Mackay and his wives--



And this is President Hinckley's



And President McKay's

I think that the only prophets not buried in this cemetery are Prophet Joseph Smith, Lorenzo Snow and Ezra Taft Benson.

4 comments:

This Place is a Disaster! said...

I think Brigham Young isn't - he is burried just up the street with a wife.

Juan-Carlos said...

I went up there this past Monday! Did you bring the flowers I saw up there?

Rick Wilcox said...

I don't think the Wilcox family has anyone important enough to be buried in that cemetary.

Nickessa said...

Fascinating idea! Nick and I don't really visit cemetary's and maybe we should