It's only right that my dad should be the star of this story because without him I wouldn't have grown up on a farm. Today would be his birthday, and I miss him terribly still--maybe more--after 5 years.
Now we had just about every animal on our farm 'cept a dog. I wanted a dog. My dad wasn't the problem, but my mom was reluctant. After a long time of wheedling and begging mom finally relented, telling my father to choose the dog and to make sure it was a boy dog. Dad had a friend who worked for animal control and he asked him to find a pooch for his little girl. When I first saw Sandy, I was enthralled with the--ah--unusual appearance of this dog. It was THE ULTIMATE SHAGGY DOG, but totally smaller. Legs maybe 8 inches. Sort of maltese or shit-su-ish, but a thick heavy body; and resembling a mop in motion. We couldn't see a face but we could tell which way was heads and which way was tails because of the direction the dog was headed. Anyway, Sandy became our dog. It was obvious dad was amused and pleased at the choice his friend had made for our family.
Two months later, this boy dog gave birth to puppies. Mom was FURIOUS! (the puppies were adorable, by the way). As soon as the puppies found new homes, she gave dad instructions to take Sandy to the vet to avoid these puppy events. Dad scooped Sandy up and trucked down the road in his pickup with her. A couple of days later she was back, all fixed up.
Two months later, another litter of puppies appeared! (Seems Sandy had just taken a little vacation for a couple days at my Uncle Thurm's house). Furious didn't describe mom this time. After 6 weeks and new homes for the puppies, she loaded Sandy in the car herself and took her to the vet.
No more puppies on the farm. Dang.
Ruby age 14
2 months ago




11 comments:
That's awesome.
I am so loving your farm stories. You could really go somewhere with these stories....a children's book or something. Kids today don't get to have the same memories, and it's sad. Keep them coming!
Happy Birthday Rascal! What a funny man. Loved this one.
I love it! What a great story. I'm laughing out loud. Oh, Connie, you are the hostess from heaven, and the party yesterday was so wonderful. Thank you so much for inviting us. It meant everything. Thank you!
Oh wow--I miss my Papa! He was such a Handsome & Hardworkin Hero, filling every corner of his, and not much of it was with sleep. Con, again, you are imparting details I should have in my own "remembery," and it's finally good to know the details of why Sandy's spay job didn't "take" HAHAHAHA!
--filling every corner of his LIFE!
I'm so glad you are sharing these stories with everyone mom, they almost seem like my memories too because I've heard them and love them so much! Happy Birthday Grandpa Roscoe!
That's weird they said he was a boy and yet there was 2 litters of puppies. I've heard Diane talk about Sandy and when she died...you guys found her smiling. Eeek!
I think that the farm stories are going to end up in a book, I just love them! Happy Bithday Grandpa Roscoe!
Good old Roscoe. You should post some photos of him.
The things Dads do for their little girls! When I was three I was still pining for my bottle so to my Mother's dismay my Dad went and bought a new baby bottle for me. Man, was my Mother upset!
Post a Comment