Saturday, August 22, 2009

Reflecting...

At this time of year I always do a lot of reminiscing about the years when all our children were home. August was a busy time of year as we shopped and sewed and tried to re-instate some sort of a schedule in our home in anticipation of the beginning of school. Such fun! Such stress! Trying to make a dollar stretch was hard work.
The years of raising our family was a time when most moms were home baking cookies and sitting at the sewing machine. There were stores that fabric could actually be purchased by the pound...and I frequented those places. I learned to make rugby shirts that looked just like the ones at Sears! One year we had classes at Relief Society and all learned how to make 'designer jeans' that you couldn't tell apart from Levi brand. Does any one remember the years--probably 1989-90 when there was a line of clothing called 'Units'? I literally sewed my brains out those summers, making mix'n'match units for all four of my girls. We would sew and sew and sew--and walk up the street to show our friends what we had made and they showed us what they had made, and then we would do it over again the next day.
There was a very satisfying aspect of life for me when I created essential items for my children using very little money. Of course, as they grew older, they became fussier and quite often we ended up at the department stores to purchase items--but I love to remember back to school time when my kids were young.

I loved it.

This is the fam in --I think 1993--

7 comments:

FRAN said...

Love the photo. How come you still look as young and vibrant as you did in this photo, but Jim looks years and years older.......ha! It must those scout trips!

Rob and Tammy said...

Rob use to take the first day of school for the kids off work to stay home with me. It was such a sad day for me to have the kids back in school.

Anonymous said...

UNITS! I completly forgot about those. A flood of memories are back. We use to hide under the kitchen table while my mom would frantically get our school clothes sewn. Good days!

Love the family photo too. That's how I still think of your family!

Kathy said...

Oh my goodness. I loved UNITS. I had a ton! Your family is adorable, then and now!

Mateo said...

Wow...1993. I was in Ecuador at the time that picture was taken. Crazy how tiny all those kids look! Good post.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Connie, it's LeeAnnie's friend, Sher. I love this post! This is the first year I haven't had to send kids back to school and it makes me SO happy... not even a little bit sad. I just always wanted them home. Your picture is the way I "remember" your family, too... from photos, of course. How can I know you all so well without actually knowing you?!? I enjoy your blog.

MindiCeleste said...

I remember "Units" Melissa and I came and learned how to sew them. It was soo fun!