Monday, March 9, 2009

Farm Stories: Another 'Squeaker'

Last week I told about using up one of my 'nine lives' as I was growing up. I might as well follow it up with another close call I had when I was nine or ten--

It was a beautiful fall day and I was playing hide and seek at my friend Estelle's house after school. Estelle was IT. As she started counting and I was looking for a place to hide I ran over some old boards that were in her back yard. They had always been there; we had walked over them dozens of times but this time a couple of them broke and I fell through the boards. I don't really know how but I managed to grab the edges of the unbroken boards and hang on. My feet underneath me were swingin free but I hung on and screamed for help.

Estelle heard me screech and called for her father, who fortunately was home from work. He ran to me and pulled me up and away from the broken boards and seemed pretty shaken up--for good reason--I had broken though the boards of an old well.

I don't know if it had water in it or not--just glad that I didn't find out!

Stay tuned for another one of my 'nine lives' story next week!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you have already uses so many of your nine lives, you had better take extra caution! No walking under ladders or letting black cats going in your path!

Cherrie said...

Angie's Mom here- I have been enjoying your blog for as long as Angie. She was very excited to discover you and Leesa.
Oh the things you learn about a person on their blog. I do enjoy your tales.!!!
You have beautiful grandchildren!
Ron and I will have a total of 17 by the end of the summer.
Each one is my absolute favorite!
Love you Connie.

Connie and Jimbob said...

Cherrie!!! I am so excited to say hello back to you! I can't believe that you have 17 grandchildren. That is so awesome. I think often of the great memories I have tucked away of the days in Hunter raising our kids. They were golden years, and I still have many golden friends from them, including the Staleys.