
Last year in May I sez to myself (sez I) "Well, it's time to plant flowers once again. The birdies are singin', the bees are abuzzin', and it's Mother's Day soon, which is a sure sign that it is time to start planting flowers. I walked out of the greenhouse later that day with a glazed look on my face after having spent nearly twice the amount of money as usual to buy bedding plants...in fact everything was soooooo spendy that I cut down on the flowers in my yard last year and vowed to try starting some of my seeds early in the year in 2009.
So here we are; 2009. Time to plant!!! I bought the little starter pot thingys--72 of them for a mere six dollars! Then I went online to find impatiens, coleus, petunias and snowtopia at a site called 'the seedman' which guarantees all their seeds. Eleven dollars, total for seeds.
The snowtopia plant has been one of my favorite pot plants for several years. I like to plant several of them around the outside edge of each pot and they grow into a waterfall of white blossoms over the sides of the pots, but last year the blasted things were $3.98 each!!!!
I've never started my plants before and I don't really know what I am doing with this, but I CAN follow instructions.
So I will.
Any advice from those of you who have green thumbs would be graciously and happily accepted.




8 comments:
I'm doing the same thing this year. Be sure and post any helpful hints you get.
i found smith's market place on 90th and redwood road cheaper.(you know fred meyer, that's what i still call it.) my green themb always turns brown.
Upon our impending move to the desert, I quizzed my friend's dad, who lives in Phoenix, about the growing season--how he knows when to plant. His answer, "Oh, I just do it every couple of months or so--cuz by then, everthing I planted before has died."
askjoy@joyinthegarden.com
She will answer all your questions. Also, you know that Sean is quite the gardener. He can bring those 10 cent dead things you buy at the end of the year back to beauty!!
You are so good to plant flowers. I tried that the first spring we moved into our home and they ended up dying within a month. Not because of lack of watering or taking care of them but because our soil is awful and won't let anything grow. Oh how I wish I could have a beautiful flower garden!
I have crap for soil as well. I envy anyone who has a pretty yard. I have rock hard soil with zero nutrients and all that grows are bulbs that I have dug up four thousands times and Ivy! Curse the person who planted that garbage!
I actually planted a lot from seed last year, some died and some didn't. My garden did not do as well, but a least I gave it a try and I think I wll try again this year on some things.
Well, I admire all of you that plant flowers from seeds. You must have a LOT more patience than I do. But then the pocket book is getting thinner and thinner so I may resort to desperation or else have no flowers this year. But I do LOVE those beautiful creations - they certainly add "life" to a yard.
Post a Comment