Ahhh, hasn't it been a great weekend? I look forward to General Conference so much. I love the FEEL of conference in the air! All the people who come to town; all the missionary reunions; the special sales; the different commercials on the TV and radio...all of it!
For--probably about 15-17 years now--our family has had the tradition of using Conference as an excuse for a family gathering. We like to call it (and so we do) THE CONFERENCE TEST. Every one who can make it comes to my house at 6:00 on Sunday with notes in hand that they have taken of the Sunday conference sessions. Today there were about 30 of us. We sit in a big circle in the family room downstairs and my sister sits with a big bowl of candy bars. As we go around the circle, every one has a chance to ask a question about conference. If you ask a question, you get a candy bar. If you answer a question, you get a candy bar. Its fun. Its also a good way to get the kids to watch and listen to conference and try to decide what question they want to ask. Then, of course, we have food at the end!
My fave this Conference was Elder Eyring, again. He wins out most of the time. I love his humility, I love his approach, I love the affection in his voice. He speaks TO ME. He makes me want to change my life; he compels me to think about my Savior as a personal friend who loves me and wants the best for me.
Isn't it so cool that (we were talking about this today as a family) it seems like certain speakers or topics JUMP out at you if you are seeking the answer to a question? Something that may not have caught your attention otherwise becomes the answer to prayer if you are listening with your heart and allowing the spirit to speak to you. The answers are there, if our hearts are available.
Ruby age 14
2 months ago




6 comments:
I feel the same about Elder Eyring. There was one point in his talk when it felt like the TV zoomed in, close to my face, and he was speaking RIGHT TO ME. Then it zoomed back out. He's been one of my favorites since he was at the University of Utah. I heard him speak at an Institute fireside...awesome man.
As for the conference game, if you'd ever like to expand our familial horizons to a more, um, 'open' location, we could migrate that little activity to a larger place like...my house? Just a thought, in case you're interested.
I loved conference. It was just wonderful, and I came away with hope. I love the idea of the candy game, we might just have to try that with my monsters.
Jimmie Faust!
That game sounds absolutely amazing! I will have to learn how to play it. I loved Elder Wirthiln's talk especially. It made me happy!
The Conference party is definitely one of my favorite family traditions. I'm so glad that you taught me when I was a "little dude" how important and meaningful conference can be. Oh, and thanks for hangin' with me on Saturday night!
That sounds like a great tradition. We might have to steal that when we have kids (Did my mom mention that we're going to adopt?).
Thanks for thinking of us when the Kansas City temple was announced. We were jumping up and down and screaming for joy (probably not the most reverent reaction, but we were a little excited). So, since it will probably be 4-5 years before it is dedicated, that means only about 60 more temple trips to St. Louis. Yay!
Post a Comment