Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Saying Goodbye to an Old Friend


The year was 1985 and our fourth child had made her arrival. Suddenly we had issues squeezing into our family car. What to do? David Early Tires had a great looking suburban parked in their parking lot with a FOR SALE sign on it. Nice tires, rims, lifts, 4x4, nine passenger. Turns out it was David Early's personal vehicle. Soon it became the Wilcox family's personal vehicle. We loved our Suburban. Each child had ample space, plus room for tons of luggage or groceries. The seats folded down to haul huge things.
It went to Scout camps and Youth Conference when Jimbob was a bishop. It went to Girls' Camp for 7 years when I was Stake YW President. It pulled trailers and boats. It took us to St. George many a time with bicycles on a rack. Park City every summer wouldn't have been the same without "The Burb". When we got it, Meredith was three years old and when we would talk about "the suburban" she thought we were saying "mister burban"--and that name stuck for a long, long time. After 15 years, we talked about a new vehicle. Our hearts twinged at the thought of selling "Mr. Burban", so it got a new transmission and engine along with a paint job and new seat covers. It is 26 years young--and like the Energizer Bunny, it keeps on hoppin'.
One by one, our little birds left the nest. We now only have one chick-a-dee at home and it's kind of silly to have a suburban in the driveway (and expensive to drive as well!) Tonight, we sold our Suburban, and we are grateful for the many memories we shared with our BMW--big Mormon Wagon!

9 comments:

Rob and Tammy said...

We always knew which house was yours because of the Suburban being parked out front. It will be missed!!!!

Cass and Jared said...

Aww, I remember being embarrassed of that vehicle sometimes, but as I read your well written obituary, I started to tear up! Many of my fun and wonderful family memories have the Suburban in the background. Goodbye Mr. Burb!

Cass and Jared said...

I remember when I would sit with Cass after Jr. High and wait for the suburban to show up and pick her up. I would walk her to the burb and send her off. I don't think you liked me then Connie, I was hitting on your daughter and we were only 14. That crusty burban will be missed.
-Jared

Shannon said...

Aw, I am sad. I will miss Mr. Burb. I admit, I really did like driving that beast around. He had a very nice loosey-goosey steering wheel that could be turned with one finger. Farewell Mr. Burb.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you still have that car. Wow. I remember working at the copy shop and seeing the brown suburban pull up and I knew that it was Connie coming to make some copies. That was an awesome car. We have a suburban, and we have talked about what to do with it, it's a little old. I've told Jared about your suburban and how you gave it a face lift and drove it forever. I am sad with you and your family at this time.

Anonymous said...

Godspeed, Mr. Burbon!

Julia M. said...

What a wonerful vehicle! I'm so happy that your family has so many happy memories associated with it. I'm sure it will make the next family very happy, too. :)

Brandy J. said...

It's funny how attached we can become to a car. Dave's family still shares stories about their BMW growing up. The burb will hold a sweet place in all our hearts. :) ~Brandy

Rick Wilcox said...

I always thought your suburban was the best looking vehicle, same with Steven's. I think that's why we bought one back in 1990. But it was never in the same class a yours.