Saturday, May 9, 2009

Mother Memories

Some moms don't like Mother's Day. I love it. I love to remember the years I spent with MY mother, and I love to think about the years I have spent AS a mother. So--here are a few of the memories that pop into my mind at the moment about mothers...

1. I remember laying my head on my mom's lap during church when I was so, so little, and staring at the stained glass window at the old Taylorsville chapel.
2. I remember my mom setting a tiny, mewing weeks-old kitten she had found on my sleeping stomach to awaken me, knowing I would be thrilled.
3. My mom always made breakfast for us. Toast dipped in hot chocolate....sigh...
4. Whenever I awakened in the morning my mom was already up.
5. Mom always shoveled or swept a path to the bus stop for me.
6. Christmases were always magical for me, filled with details, thanks to mom.
7. Mom (and dad!) made my childhood loving, golden, and wonderful. I cried on my honeymoon because I missed them! Jimbob will never let me forget it.
8. I will never forget the wonder of that 'rush of motherhood' feeling that swept me with the cry of my first baby. He had a pointed head but I thought he was the most handsome baby in the world.
9. I also remember being mad at every woman I knew for not telling me how much it would hurt to experience childbirth...
10. I wondered how I ever survived without little people to care for.
11. I thought I was the busiest person on the face of the earth when I had my first child. HAHAHA! Four more kids later and I scoffed. My sister Diane still scoffs (she has 9 children)
12. I cried every time I sent a child to kindergarten. It was like someone slammed the book I was reading on my fingers.
13. I loved dressing my children alike. I know, I know.
14. In fact, my favorite thing was SEWING the look-alike clothes.
15. I think I was a bossy mom. I liked structure.
16. My children were always respectful of others and well behaved in public, usually without me ever reminding them to be.
17. However, there were the occasional times when they made a monkey outta me in public.
18. I loved nothing better than a quiet evening in winter with all of my children home, studying or playing or whatever....
19. Taking them to the libary every week was great.
20. We went to the Murray Park swimming pool every week for years and years. We stopped at Jobber's Odd lot on the way home sometimes and they all got a dollar to spend. We usually bought a slurpee too.
21. The Magna Parade was a huge tradition.
22. Orchard Elementary was a stinky smelling school. I don't know why.
23. Hunter Jr High was even stinkier till they replaced the carpet in the lunchroom with tile.
24. I enjoyed parent-teacher conferences nearly all the time, cause my kids were great.
25. I really miss going to Bennion Elementary's Christmas sing-in.
26. I loved looking back from the front seat of the Suburban to see all my children comfortably tucked in and enjoying the drive to St. George or Park City.
27. I nearly had my fingers broken every year playing slap-jack at Park City.
28. Watching my kids swim for hours and hours at Park City was a sweet and simple pleasure.
29. I thought I would die when we left David at the MTC.
30. My heart has ached every time one of my kids leaves home to start a new life with their spouse--
31. I love being a mom.

4 comments:

This Place is a Disaster! said...

You should have titled it "Mom-ries"

Nickessa said...

I enjoyed reading this! It makes me wonder what traditions I will start with my kiddos and what I will enjoy doing with them..

Julia M. said...

I loved reading that! I guess mothering young ones goes quite quickly. You are such a good mother!

P.S. I love seeing kids that dress alike, especially when it's homemade. Nothing's better. :)

Cherrie said...

Me tooooo....

I also loved the day when they were out of school for whatever reason.

My greatest joy and happiness has come from being Mother to my five.

It seems like yesterday they were still small and the world was ours to share.