Monday, November 24, 2008

GIVING THANKS


I love Christmas. I always HAVE loved Christmas...but in between Halloween and Christmas I savor my favorite holiday of all: Thanksgiving. It heralds the beginning of a wonderful season, it quietly reminds me of all the good in life and allows most of us a time to reflect on what is important in the world. One Thanksgiving during the 90's when my dad still had good health, mom and dad stood at the head of a very long Thanksgiving table packed with children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren, and read a poem to us that I'll always remember. This is the poem:


Drinking From The Saucer
by John Paul Moore


I've never made a fortune,
And I'll never make one now
But it really doesn't matter
'Cause I'm happy anyhow

As I go along my journey
I'm reaping better than I've sowed
I'm drinking from the saucer
'Cause my cup has overflowed

I don't have a lot of riches,
And sometimes the going's tough
But with kin and friends to love me
I think I'm rich enough

I thank God for the blessings
That His mercy has bestowed
I'm drinking from the saucer
'Cause my cup has overflowed

He gives me strength and courage
When the way grows steep and rough
I'll not ask for other blessings for
I'm already blessed enough

May we never be too busy
To help bear another's load
Then we'll all be drinking from the saucer
When our cups have overflowed

Isn't that a great thought? I wish all of you, friends and family, a wonderful Thanksgiving in 2008, and may you all be 'drinking from the saucer, cause your cups have overflowed'!

3 comments:

Nickessa said...

I like this poem a lot. It really made me stop and think about what is truly important in life...not being rich or having the most expensive things but having a loving family surrounding you. Around this time of year I know everyone worries about money but as long as we have our families we are truly blessed indeed!

MindiCeleste said...

Mazin' people that Rascal and Taddie! That was a good one. I love thanksgiving too. For me it is a good time to remember the wonderful people and things that they contributed to our lives.

Anonymous said...

The poem still squeezes tears from my eyebobs. I am thankful for you, Connie.