Definition of Cataracts:
A cataract is a clouding of the normally clear and transparent lens of the eye. It is not a tumor, a new growth of skin or tissue over the eye, but a fogging of the lens itself.
I went to see Dr. Gayer yesterday. I have known for a little over a year that I have cataracts in both eyes. Yes, both eyes. Fabulous news, yes? Well, sort of, yes, if you can believe it. I have extreme nearsightedness, which makes me a poor candidate for laser eye correction (as if I could afford it!...)
Dr. Gayer reassured me after telling me about 15 months ago that I have cataracts, that they are actually a blessing in disguise for a person with vision as poor as mine. Who knew? Why, you might ask, are cataracts a blessing to ANYONE?
These are the facts that I did not know...
1. Cataract surgery is covered by most insurance companies, including mine, with a deductible and percentage, of course.
2. Cataract surgery is relatively painless, and requires just a day or so recovery period.
3. Cataract surgery CORRECTS VISION! Yes, folks, that is right, even when you have such poor vision you aren't a candidate for laser eye correction, you are nearly always a candidate for cataract surgery, and removal of cataracts is paid for by insurance in almost every instance.
After my initial shock and general bummed-out feelings about being old enough to have developed cataracts, I am trying to look at this from a positive standpoint. Fortunately I do not need the surgery at this very minute because I can still be corrected with very strong gas-permeable contact lenses. BUT. stay tuned because Dr. Gayer informed me that in about a year I will no longer have much choice in the matter. Could it be that I will be able to see once again before I regain my long-awaited perfected body???
Ruby age 14
2 months ago




7 comments:
Before kids I worked at the Moran Eye Center. I worked with two MD's who specialized in the cornea. They did transplants,(heavy surgery) LASIK,which I watched and was scared, and cataracts. I think people recovered better from the cataract surgery, and this was over 10 years ago. It's kind of a neat procedure. Good luck.
I think it is a blessing in disguise that you can have your eyesight back! How wonderful. And the fact that your insurance covers it is awesome! Even though the whole surgery thing is definately scary! Good luck!
Even though cataracts aren't a good thing, I think you'll really enjoy having good eyes! I sure wish I could have that surgery! (am I brave enough though?) I love the new haircut by the way, I'm excited to see it in person.
What a positive spin on things! I'm going to have to start telling people at work that cataracts really are okay. Macular degeneration on the other hand. . . . I hope I get to see you soon!
I work with a guy that wore glasses and had cataracts in both eyes. He had them replaced one at a time on different days but he was back at work the next day after the surgeries. He doesn't wear glasses now. He thought it was great.
You'll have better vision than Tiger Woods!
Yeah for cataracts! I wish I could have my vision corrected.
Post a Comment